While houseplants are a nice way to liven up your living space during spring and summer – or even during the drab months of winter – not all of them are safe for our feline friends. In fact, some of the most popular, low-maintenance plants in homes across America are dangerous if ingested by kitty.
Below you’ll find a list of some of the most common houseplants that are toxic to cats.
Houseplants That Are Toxic to Cats
While aloe is helpful for curing summertime sunburns, its medicinal properties are not so beneficial for our furry friends. A curious kitty that nibbles on an aloe plant may experience vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.
These brightly colored flowers are sure to enhance any yard or home. Despite their beauty, they are highly toxic to cats. Apart from vomiting, diarrhea and weakness, azaleas can ultimately lead to cardiac failure.
Like azaleas, daffodils are beautiful and bountiful during springtime, but the plant – predominantly the plant’s bulbs – are extremely poisonous to our four-legged friends. Vomiting, diarrhea and salivating may be the first signs of ingestion. Eating large amounts can cause tremors, convulsions, low blood pressure and cardiac arrhythmias, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA).
While koalas spend most of their days lounging around eating this high fiber treat, eucalyptus is toxic to most other animals, including cats. Signs of ingestion may include excessive salivation, depression, vomiting, diarrhea and weakness.
Succulents have increased in popularity over the years due to their attractive qualities and low-maintenance care. Unfortunately, some succulents, including Jade, are harmful to pets. If eaten, Jade may cause vomiting, depression and incoordination.
A staple across many homes around Easter time, lilies are extremely poisonous to cats. Ingestion may lead to vomiting, stomach upset, increased drooling and trouble swallowing or breathing. In severe cases, it can cause kidney failure according to the ASPCA.
Feeling festive this holiday season? If mistletoe adorns your living space this Christmas, just make sure it stays out of kitty’s reach. Though a nice decoration, it can cause serious issues for our feline friends, including vomiting, diarrhea, a slowed heart rate, trouble breathing and low blood pressure, ultimately leading to cardiovascular shutdown in severe cases.
If you have a vegetable garden that includes common household cooking items like onions, you should take extreme caution to ensure your kitty doesn’t sneak a bite of the strong-smelling plant for himself. Onions are highly toxic and cause a breakdown of red blood cells, which can lead to anemia. Additionally, they may cause vomiting, blood in the urine, a high heart rate, weakness and excessive panting.
Sago Palm Plants
Sago Palms are a staple in many South Carolina homes and gardens. Despite their abundance and beauty, these are perhaps the most toxic plants on the list. Sago Palms can lead to liver failure, liver damage and death. For more information on the Sago Palm plant, feel free to check out our article specifically related to Sago Palm poisoning in pets.
A bite or two of a ripe tomato will not harm kitty – the fruit itself is generally okay. However, the leaves and stems of any tomato plant are poisonous if ingested. According to the ASPCA, a tomato plant can lead to a decreased appetite, dilated pupils, weakness, depression, excessive salivation, gastrointestinal issues, and most worrisome, a slowed heart rate.
What To Do If Your Cat Has Ingested a Poisonous Houseplant
If at any point you suspect your cat has ingested a houseplant, immediately call your veterinarian for evaluation. You may also call the Pet Poison Helpline at (855) 764-7661 for an initial $59 fee.
*Please note that the list above is not exhaustive. If you are unsure whether a plant your pet has eaten is toxic, please call your veterinarian for medical advice.*
Thanks for stopping by! We’re glad you’re here and hope you learned more about common houseplants that are toxic to cats. If you enjoyed our article, please feel free to share it with friends, family and on social media sites.