Templates by BIGtheme NET

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms?

Cane Bay Summerville - Can Dogs Eat MushroomsDuring spring and summer, most of our dogs love running around outside and exploring the backyard, local park or any area they can easily let loose. While the exercise is great, sometimes our pets may roam out of our sight and experience the world with their taste buds. Most of the time this is harmless, but occasionally, it can pose a serious threat to our furry friend’s health.

If your pooch stumbles upon a mushroom and gulps it down during a summer stroll, should you be concerned? Can dogs eat mushrooms without health consequences or problems?

Can Dogs Eat Mushrooms Safely?

Occasionally. While only a small number of mushrooms are toxic, the ones that are can be extremely dangerous for your pooch to ingest. Unfortunately, highly toxic mushrooms sometimes give off a fishy scent, which is likely to attract your dog. With this in mind, it is best to stay away from all wild mushrooms.

Store-bought mushrooms, on the other hand, are generally safe to give your pet and do not pose any health risks.

Which Mushrooms Are Toxic?

According to the American Kennel Club, the following mushrooms have a history of wreaking the most havoc:

  • Amanita phalloides, or “Death Cap”
  • Galerina marginata or “Deadly Galerina”
  • Amanita gemmata or “Jeweled Death Cap”
  • Amanita muscaria or “Fly Agaric / Deadly Agaric”
  • Gyromitra spp.
  • Inocybe spp. and Clitocybe dealbata

The aforementioned list is not exhaustive. Unfortunately, many mushrooms look similar, and it is hard to differentiate one from another. If you suspect your dog has eaten a wild mushroom, veterinarians urge owners not to assume it was a safe mushroom by looking at its appearance. The best thing to do is take your pet to the vet.

If you have the ability, it may be helpful to bring in a sample of the mushroom your dog ate. You can wrap it in a damp paper towel and bring it with you in a brown paper bag.

What Are Symptoms of Mushroom Poisoning?

Symptoms of mushroom toxicity will manifest themselves differently based on which mushroom your dog ate. Generally, however, you should be on the lookout for the following signs:

  • Abdominal Pain
  • Coma
  • Diarrhea
  • Jaundice
  • Lethargy
  • Liver Failure
  • Salivation
  • Seizures
  • Vomiting
  • Weakness

Worst of all, mushroom toxicity can lead to death if left untreated, or if enough was ingested.

What Should You Do If You Suspect Mushroom Poisoning in Your Dog?

First and foremost, you should immediately take your pooch to the vet. Bringing along a sample of the mushroom will make it easier for your veterinarian to identify the specific toxin.

Several treatments may be used to help treat your pup, including induced vomiting or medications to offset the poison.

Prevention is the best medicine. Anytime you’re in your front or backyard and see mushrooms sprouting up, it is best to pick them up and throw them away. It’s better for you to get to them before your dog does.

Thanks for stopping by! We’re glad you’re here. If you enjoyed our article, please feel free to share it with family, friends and on social media sites.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*